REYS Volunteer Application
Mission and Purpose
The mission of Rainbow’s End Youth Services is to reach local youth (ages 7 – 17 years) in Christian love, to encourage, develop and equip them to experience Godly wholeness and success by:
* Praying *Sharing Christ * Teaching God’s Word * Offering supervised recreation
The purpose of Rainbow’s End Youth Services is to initiate and develop mentoring relationships with community youth through Rainbow’s End Youth Center, toward fulfillment of the Center’s mission statement.
Statement of Faith
All those who participate in the on-going work and witness of Rainbow’s End Youth Services shall be in sympathy with its central purpose of proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ. In order to qualify for office, a member of the board of directors, regular staff, or ministering volunteer staff shall subscribe to the following articles of faith:
- The Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments, being given by divine inspiration, are the Word of God, the final and supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
- In the Scriptures God reveals Himself as the living and true God, Creator of all things. Perfect in love and righteous in all His ways this one God exists eternally as a Trinity of persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- God made us in His image that we might have fellowship with Him. Being estranged from God by our disobedience, we are incapable of a right relationship to God apart from divine grace.
- The only Mediator between God and us is Jesus Christ our Lord, God’s eternal Son, who as man fully shared and fulfilled our humanity in a life of perfect obedience.
- By His death in our place, Jesus revealed the divine love and upheld divine justice, removing our guilt and reconciling us to God. Having risen bodily from the dead and ascending into heaven, He rules as Lord over all and intercedes for us as our great high priest.
- The Holy Spirit, through the proclamation of the gospel, renews our hearts, persuading us to repent of our sins and confess Jesus as Lord. By the same Spirit we are led to trust in divine mercy, whereby we are forgiven all our sins, justified by faith through the merit of Christ our Savior, adopted into God’s family as His children and enabled so to live in the world that everyone may see our good works and glorify our Father who is in heaven.
- God by His Word and Spirit calls everyone into the fellowship of Christ’s body. Thus He creates the one holy, universal and apostolic church, united in the bonds of love, endowed with the gifts of the Spirit and summoned by Christ to preach the gospel and to administer the sacraments, to relieve human needs and to strive for social justice.
- God’s redemptive purpose will be consummated by the return of Christ to raise the dead, judge everyone and establish His glorious kingdom. Those who are apart from Christ shall be eternally separated from God’s presence, but the righteous shall live and reign with Him forever.
Volunteer Qualifications, Dress Code, Policy on Mentoring Youth of the Opposite Sex
Have a vital Christian experience and be a growing disciple of Jesus Christ, with a teachable attitude and a servant’s heart. Demonstration of this must include active participation in a local congregation.
Have an interest in and a willingness to meet youth where they are, a willingness to build relationships with them, and a desire to see youth grow in all aspects of life (socially, intellectually, emotionally, and spiritually).
Have a willingness to approach youth with a non-judgmental attitude, and have a conviction that each youth is worth knowing and helping regardless of the youth’s willingness to change.
Have an ability to work as part of a team and be willing to serve under the leadership of those with more experience.
We anticipate that Christian volunteers will use their own good discretion in choosing proper attire for Rainbow’s End. Since a volunteer’s responsibility is to teach values by example, we suggest a basic dress code which reflects the standards of our ministry.
- No clothing with obscene or improper language, pictures or gestures will be allowed.
- No visible tattoos with obscene or improper language, pictures or gestures will be allowed.
- Undergarments may not be visible in any way.
In addition, for men: Shirts must be worn at all times.
In addition, for women: Mid-section may not be uncovered, No plunging necklines of shirts and skirts and shorts must be of suitable length.
Policy on Mentoring Youth of the Opposite Sex
In order to maintain the integrity of the Rainbow’s End Youth Center, its staff, volunteers and members, the following policy has been adopted regarding mentoring a youth of the opposite sex.
Rainbow’s End encourages mentors to be available to youth of their same sex as often as possible. Volunteer mentors are to be examples for youth to follow. We believe that in general, females are the best examples for other females, as are males for other males. In some cases, however, a youth may reach out to or relate better with a volunteer mentor of the opposite sex. Rainbow’s End allows cross-gender mentoring within the following guidelines:
- An additional volunteer mentor of the same sex as the youth should be present in any counseling situation.
- A volunteer mentor and a teen may not meet behind closed doors at ANY time.
- A volunteer mentor may not transport a youth of the opposite sex by him/herself at ANY time.
- A volunteer mentor may not allow an exclusively confidential relationship between him/herself and a youth of the opposite sex.
- A volunteer mentor may not maintain a long-term mentoring relationship with a youth of the opposite sex, but should actively encourage the development of a mentoring relationship with a mentor of the same sex as the youth.
Volunteer Job Description
To initiate and develop mentoring relationships with local youth in Christian love, to encourage, develop and equip them to experience Godly wholeness and success.
- Under the supervision of the Executive or Program Director, carry out the specific responsibilities you have volunteered for.
- Intentionally develop relationships with REYS youth, seeking to build friendships that lead them toward Christ.
- Report any specific needs and issues of specific youth to the Program Director.
- Include REYS youth and their families in your prayer life.
- If circumstances arise that necessitate a change in your plans to work when scheduled, contact the Executive or Program Director immediately, not less than 24 hours in advance.
- Attend a quarterly staff meeting if applicable.
REYS Program Director, Music Director and/or Executive Director depending on volunteer role.